Duration: Mon 12 Oct 2020
to Spring 2022
Sprint is a bus priority corridor that will link Walsall with the centre of Birmingham, Solihull and Birmingham Airport - joining the A34 with the A45 to create one continuous bus route.
Sprint will bring benefits for all bus passengers: providing more reliable, regular and predictable journey times, connecting our region and protecting our environment too.
A milestone project, Sprint is being delivered by Transport for West Midlands and forms part of the region-wide ambition to improve the public transport experience.
In preparation for Sprint, works will continue along the A45 with a number of road closures set to be in place over the coming weeks.
Key travel advice
- Plan ahead and leave more time for your journey.
- Consider using another route where possible. Check apps that show traffic levels before leaving
On 19 April 2021, the Sprint programme will begin work along the A34, Perry Barr, in preparation for the new route.
During these works, there will be 6 months of lane closures on the A34, in both directions, between Birmingham City Centre and the Scott Arms Junction.
Key travel advice
- You can expect delays in the area from 19 April 2021, so plan ahead and use an alternative route where possible.
- Allow extra time for your journey and consider walking or cycling shorter journeys if you can. Not only will you avoid congestion, it is beneficial for health and wellbeing.
- If you use the A34 to drive into Birmingham from Walsall or M6 J7 you may want to consider using the M6 Aston Expressway to access Birmingham City Centre.
- If you are using the 51, X51, 28, 46, 52 or 424 bus services through the area, there is no change to the route but delays may be seen, so allow extra time for your journey.
You can find more information on the Sprint construction programme here.
Thursday 15 April – Tuesday 20 April for 5 nights including the weekend 8pm to 6am.
Duration: From 6 April 2021
Location: Birmingham, Perry Barr and Sandwell, Scott Arms
As part of Sprint, TfWM will be upgrading bus shelters along the A34/45 Sprint corridor. Utility works are being carried out to enable the installation of new bus shelters. Access to properties will be maintained at all times. The work will involve a lane closure, with traffic management at the following stops, for up to three weeks.
- The Tennis Court – Inbound towards Birmingham - work is expected to commence from the 6 April 2021
- Beeches Road – Outbound towards Walsall - work is expected to commence from the 12 April 2021
- Beeches Road – Inbound towards Birmingham – work is expected to commence from the 14 April 2021
- Booths Farm Road – Outbound, towards Walsall – work is expected to commence from the 14 April 2021
- Scott Arms – Outbound, towards Walsall – work is expected to commence from the 16 April 2021
- Scott Arms – Inbound, towards Birmingham – work is expected to commence from the 23 April 2021
- Booths Farm Road – Inbound, towards Birmingham – work is expected to commence from the 30 April 2021
The current bus shelter will be removed, and a temporary stop for you to catch your bus will be located near to the current shelter.